Even before children begin crawling or walking, Dr. Gilbert Chang advises parents and caregivers to take steps to assure harmful items are out of reach, locked in cabinets or behind doors secured with a safety latch:
- In the laundry room or kitchen, put away cleaning products, such as bleach, dishwashing and laundry detergents (especially singleuse pods) and furniture polish.
- In the garage, put away antifreeze, gasoline, lamp oil and insecticides.
- In the bathroom, lock away over-the-counter and prescription medicines, vitamins and supplements, and personal hygiene products, such as nail polish remover, perfume and cosmetics.
- Check to see if your houseplants are harmful. Call Poison Help at (800) 222-1222 for a list or description of plants to avoid.
- Cover electrical outlets with safety plugs.
- Put baby gates at the foot of stairs.
- Tie up blinds or window covering cords.